Statement from the 4G Team on 8 April 2021
Statement from the 4G Team on DPM Heng Swee Keat's decision to stand aside as leader of the 4G team on 8 April 2021.
After DPM Heng Swee Keat informed the Ministers of his intentions to stand aside as leader of the 4G team, Minister Gan Kim Yong as PAP Chairman chaired a meeting of all the Ministers, Senior Ministers of State and Ministers of State, as well as Speaker and the Secretary-General of the NTUC, less PM Lee, DPM Heng and the two Senior Ministers. See Annex for the full list of attendees. The meeting discussed and agreed to this statement.
* * * * *
1. We respect and accept DPM Heng Swee Keat’s decision to stand aside as the leader of the 4G team. We appreciate what a difficult decision it must have been. But no one could have foreseen the disruption of COVID-19, the great uncertainty it has created, and its long-lasting impact. We know that he has made the decision with Singapore’s long-term interests at heart.
2. Over the past two years since he was appointed as DPM, Mr Heng has played a critical role in leading key initiatives of the Government – championing the Singapore Together movement, guiding our national R&D and economic restructuring efforts, and delivering five budgets in twelve months to protect lives and livelihoods in the midst of a global pandemic. Believing in the collective strength of our people, he has engaged individuals, communities and groups widely, and enabled their active participation in improving our economy and society.
3. We are glad that DPM Heng will remain a member of our team, and will continue in his roles as DPM and Coordinating Minister for Economic Policies. We have all benefitted from his experience and expertise, and we look forward to his continued advice and contributions as we navigate our recovery and chart Singapore’s path forward.
4. Tackling Singapore’s pressing immediate challenges and ensuring that Singapore emerges stronger from this crisis remains our foremost priority. Under these circumstances, the 4G team will need more time to select another leader from amongst us. We have therefore requested PM Lee Hsien Loong to stay on as Prime Minister until such time when a new successor is chosen by the team and is ready to take over. We are grateful that PM has agreed to our request.
5. This unexpected turn of events is a setback for our succession planning. We recognise that Singaporeans will be concerned. We seek your support and understanding, as we choose another leader for the team. We will continue working as a team to serve our people, and to earn the confidence and trust of all Singaporeans.
* * * * *
|Min Vivian Balakrishnan||Min Ng Eng Hen|
|Min K Shanmugam||Min Gan Kim Yong|
|Min Chan Chun Sing||Min S Iswaran|
|Min Lawrence Wong||Min Grace Fu|
|Min Masagos Zulkifli||Min Desmond Lee|
|Min Ong Ye Kung||Min Josephine Teo|
|Min Indranee Rajah||Min Mohamad Maliki Osman|
|Min Tan See Leng||Min Edwin Tong|
|Speaker Tan Chuan-Jin||SMS Heng Chee How
|Sec-Gen Ng Chee Meng||SMS Chee Hong Tat|
|SMS Amy Khor
||SMS Janil Puthucheary|
|SMS Sim Ann||SMS Zaqy Mohamad|
|SMS Koh Poh Koon||MOS Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim
|MOS Low Yen Ling
||MOS Desmond Tan
|MOS Sun Xueling
||MOS Alvin Tan
|MOS Gan Siow Huang
||MOS Tan Kiat How|
Explore recent content
Explore related topics